Thursday, August 04, 2005

A couple surprises

Let me start by reiterating how skanky our current place is. Here in CA, there are a lot of places with old and weird floor plans. For instance, our laundry room is outside... and it's in the FRONT of our house! How messed up is that?!

When I do laundry, I'd prefer it to be in a relatively clean environment. But since ours is in a weird outdoor room, I often find moths in the cabinets. When they die and fall on the floor, the ants come and feast. Then they get thirsty and decide to crawl all over our washing machine. You have to wipe them up before doing a load.

Then today, I went out there and I found a few friends waiting for me. A spider decided to have babies under the cabinet. Lovely.


I love where I live
Posted by Picasa

Ok, on to better things. I was browsing the latest Interweave Knits magazine and decided to try knitting the Canteen Bag by Rachel Battaglia Nissen using some Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Bulky I had in my stash. I was truly surprised at how fast this thing knit up! I'm a super slow knitter, and it only took me about 2.5 evenings. I'll post pics after I felt it.


front of canteen bag, before felting
Posted by Picasa


Back of canteen bag, before felting
Posted by Picasa

Another side project I'd been working on is a little cardigan sweater for our new kid, Jake. We got Jake in Arizona and he'd been complaining since arriving in California that it's too cold here! So, I took his measurements (which was easy since stuffed animals have seams you can follow), and grabbed some Andean Silk from Knit Picks in the color Yarrow. Since he's sort of triangular-shaped, I knew I'd have to make it a raglan sweater. The back photo really shows the raglan decreases, and the moss stitch edging. Of course, now all the other kids are jealous.


Jake in his new sweater
Posted by Picasa


Back of Jake's sweater
Posted by Picasa

No comments: