Thursday, January 27, 2005

RIP, my little sweet

A few things have been happening lately that I thought I should mention (mostly for the sake of my curious mother-in-law). ;-)

To start, my computer is currently out of commission. I was in the kitchen making dinner the other night, and went into the other room to see what that strange noise was. I looked down at my laptop, as it was dying slowly, the bizarre scratchy sounds indicating that it was not doing well. Luckily, my husband was home and rushed over to perform some CPR (that's Computer Processor Resuscitation).

Alas, the hard drive could not pull through and time of death was 6:40 PM. The computer's less than a year old, so this was completely unexpected. Apparently, HP is sending another hard drive but I'm really hoping we can salvage some of the data off my old drive.

Well, I suppose I'm lucky in the sense that my husband is a geek, so there are plenty of extra computers around the house. He was able to set me up on another laptop within minutes. Yeah, it ain't as loaded or as pretty as my beloved HP (whose shell is now lying sadly on the floor), but it works so I'm not complaining.

And just in time for Secret Pal 4! Mom, if you're reading this, Secret Pal is a knit/crochet gift exchange program. Like Secret Santa, you don't know the identity of your gift giver, and likewise you send gifts to someone who doesn't know who you are. You get to know one another via blog, which is why I started this whole thing.

Not to mention, I actually did enroll in two classes, one of which is online. These will go toward a Certificate in Small Business Management. The first class is Intro to Sm. Business and it's actually a TV course (good thing we have Tivo!), and the other is Accounting 1 (the online class). It's been 10 years since I've been a student, so I thought it would be wise to ease into it by taking classes from home. I'm not even sure if this is for me, so I'm taking the basics to decide if I'll move forward later on in the Summer/Fall.

That's the "big" news for now. I'm getting over a strange infection in my salivary gland, but we won't discuss that here (my jaw was swelling up like I was involved in a bar fight!). Hey, if you're my SP and you're reading this, you'll soon come to realize that I'm a magnet for unusual occurrences so don't be scared! :-0

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I just wanted to drop by and say, "hi," because I'm your secret pal! Can't wait to start spoiling you :) I also have a few questions for you:

Do you enjoy tea or cocoa?

Is there anything knit that you wouldn't wear?

Are there any colors you can't stand?

Any "guilty" pleasures?

What do you like to do in your spare time (besides knit of course!)?

Do you eat candy? Any favorites?

Thanks! I already have one little surprise for you already!

Jan said...

Hey there, SP! I asked our host to contact you, because I couldn't reply directly to you via email regarding your questions (anonymous comments just bounce). I'm also hoping you'll check here.

To answer your questions:
Do you enjoy tea or cocoa? Yep, I love cocoa and jasmine tea.

Is there anything knit that you wouldn't wear? Umm, probably those bikinis I've seen in the Rebecca magazines :-0

Are there any colors you can't stand? I'm not into forest green or grape purple on their own, but a bit of it mixed with other colors might be okay.

Any "guilty" pleasures? Rowan and Manos variegated yarns!

What do you like to do in your spare time (besides knit of course!)? Roast coffee, play video games, cook, bake, spoil the dog.

Do you eat candy? Any favorites? One of my favorites is the original "Red Hots" candy, but I can't seem to find them locally. I also love Donnelly chocolates, but that's an indulgence I only allow on occasion.

Anonymous said...

TY! Posting on your blog works for me! Also, my email is: yoursp@gmail.com