Monday, May 12, 2008

Popping my Malabrigo Cherry

I'm not sure why, but I hadn't knit with Malabrigo until recently. My absolute favorite fiber combo is silk and merino, so when I started reading about Malabrigo Silky Merino, I immediately searched Ravelry to see if anyone had some to destash. Sure enough, someone was selling 2 balls in a gorgeous color, Madre Perla, which is a silvery lavender color.

The color reminded me of my mom, so I decided to knit her something for the first time. I know, can you believe what a terrible daughter I am? I've been knitting for 6 years and everyone and their mother has gotten a handknit good from me, but not my own mother.

At least it is something really nice. Some of the poor folks who were victims of my early knitting years, eagerly opening up their packages, only to be disappointed at the "homemade" gift item they received, are probably wishing they got what my mom got - a super soft scarf in a wavy pattern.


You can clearly see the difference between the unblocked and blocked scarf. There was a brief "oh no!" moment after I washed it and laid it out to dry. The yarn really stretched out and felt limp and lifeless. Even after gently manipulating it back into shape, it still didn't have the loft of the unblocked version. But it fluffed up a little when completely dry, and it still came out beautifully.

Pattern: #32 Wavy Pattern Scarf by Charlotte Quiggle from Vogue Knitting Spring/Summer 2005
Yarn: (2) skeins Malabrigo Silky Merino, Madre Perla
Needle: Denise US#6
New Technique Learned: Tubular Cast On/Off

1 comment:

Virtuous said...

Hate that you don't blog anymore :o(